Saturday, October 22, 2011

Keeping Perspective

"Now I am deeply discouraged, but I will remember You."  "Why am I discouraged?  Why is my heart so sad?  I will put my hope in God!  I will praise Him again my Savior and my God!  Psalm 42:5b, 5a

Everyone has discouraging days.  I am comforted by the Psalmists wise words that instructs us what to do when those times come.  Even though his feelings are honestly expressed, he ends the sentence with , "but I will remember You."  It's o.k. to tell God our gut-level feelings, but how important to add what we know, by faith, to be true.

When we remember what good things God has done in our lives it puts that sense of discouragement back into perspective.  The fact is that we each have much for which to be thankful - despite the times of overwhelming problems.

"...but I will remember You."  It was most likely a discouraging time that led most of us to realize our need for a Savior.  In turning to Christ as we realized the depth of our own wrongdoing we received undeserved mercy.  In confessing our sins to Him and asking Him to come into our lives and become our Lord and boss, we receive a rush of deep peace and relief that only forgiveness can bring.

Our lives have worth and purpose in Christ.  Even on discouraging days we can remember how much God has done for us and place our trust in Him anew."





 

No comments: