Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fighting Against Discouragement

But the Lord is in His holy temple;  the Lord still rules from Heaven.  He watches everyone closely, examining every person on earth."  Psalm 11:4

When troubles get me down I must remember this verse.  It does me no good to fret about wrong doing or camp on my troubles.  The night is most likely the time when negative thoughts either wake me or bombard me if I wake.  I have lost too much sleep in entertaining the "what ifs."  It helps nothing to do that.  Instead, the nights of victory are won through prayer and bringing to mind the promises in God's Word.  Rehearsing troubles can only rob me of sleep and faith.  Trusting that the Lord still rules from heaven gives me spiritual power whether the circumstances change or not. It's a discipline.  This turning to God is often going against my natural feeling and choosing, as an act of my will to trust.  All the people I look up to in the faith, past and present, have won such skirmishes by faith and trust.  It is hard fought battle in the mind, the will and the spiritual realm.  Author Mrs. Charles E. Cowman reminds us, "Let us give ourselves no liberty ever to doubt God or His love and faithfulness to us in everything and forever...Let us refused to be discouraged.  Let us refuse to be unhappy....Let us rejoice by faith, by resolution, by reckoning, and we shall surely find that God will make the reckoning real."     

No comments: