Monday, November 26, 2012

Don't Give Up!

"To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. I trust in you, my God!  Do not let me be disgraced, or let my enemies rejoice in my defeat.   No one who trusts in you will ever be disgraced...Show me the path where I should walk...point out the right path for me to follow.  Lead my by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me.  All day long I put my hope in You.  Remember, O Lord, your unfailing love and compassion...Forgive the rebellious sins of my outh;  look instead through the eyes of our unfailing love, for you are merciful, O Lord.  Excerpts from Psalm 25

The Psalmist, David, brings out the character of God and David becomes an ‘open book’ about his own struggle with his personal character traits and shortcomings.  David pleads with God, and at the same time expresses trust and confidence in God based on who God is and the relationship God has with “those who fear Him.” 

What does mean to “fear God?”  The top word choice I would make would be “reverence.”

Therefore I can have trust and confidence in God because of the character traits this Psalm brings to light of the Lord Almighty.  He is:  powerful, trustworthy, just, a teacher, a leader, my salvation, compassionate, loving, kind, forgiving, good, righteous, truthful, a guide, the Savior, gracious, a guardian, a deliverer, a protector, and redeemer.

Since the Lord is all those things to me, why do I stress?  Why do I fret?  Why do I allow myself to become discouraged?  Lord forgive me for the times I focus on little things when You are so immense and able to perform all that you have promised!

Here is an amazing group of statements that describe David’s growth in character as he ‘day-by-day’ took steps of faith in responding to the situations in his life.  When David pleads his case before God he:  lifts up his soul, expresses trusts in God, is teachable, is willing to be led, waits upon the Lord, confesses his sins, asks forgiveness, receives instruction, is humble, never forgets the depths of his own sin, asks for God’s grace, admits his loneliness and affliction, asks for help, talks about the enormity of his troubles, asks for deliverance, asks God to guard him and waits in faith.

In times of doubt, confusion or discouragement, this list of David’s can give us a wise perspective and set us in a productive and positive frame of mind to face our challenges.  Don’t give up!  Wait in faith!  

No comments: