Friday, December 30, 2011

Parenting Style



She sat at the stair step by my computer nook and drew happily, occasionally explaining in detail about the flowers and beginnings of alphabet letters she drew.  I was amazed at how unbelievably content she seemed - this "just being together" time.  The moments reminded me of my own childhood as I would spend hours drawing at the desk my father made me.  In fact some of my most treasured memories are of the times he and I would sit at the desk and design projects and dream of good ideas - drawing them all down on paper.  We had both times of togetherness and times of unstructured drawing - of creativity, brainstorming and exploration.  Part of the wonder of childhood is just that "dreaming time".  


As now a grandparent I appreciate anew how my parents provided both a loving stable structure for me, yet gave me the freedom of expression crowned with praise and encouragement for my efforts.  What a blessed child I was.  Because of how they treated me, I always knew children were special.      


When Jesus, "God in the flesh," walked planet earth - He demonstrated to a rough and adult-oriented world the great worth and value of children.  In the way Jesus treated others, and in particular - children, He shows us a parenting style that leaves no doubt that He delights in us, enjoys our company and loves us more than we can comprehend.  ""Taking the child in His arms, He said to them, "anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes not only me but also my Father who sent me""  (Mark 9:36-37 NLT).   

No comments: