Friday, July 9, 2010

Pure Ministry

"When I first came to you, dear brothers and sisters, I didn't use lofty words and impressive wisdom to tell you God's secret plan. For I decided that while I was with you I would forget everything except Jesus Christ, the one who was crucified. I came to you in weakness - timid and trembling. And my message and my preaching were very plain. Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit. I did this so you would trust God not in human wisdom but in the power of God." I Corinthians 2:1-5

The Apostle Paul was an impressive man - well educated, passionate about ministry and responsible for the establishing of many churches.


But Paul knew his success did not come from himself. From his conversion on he was able to focus on this important truth: It's all about Jesus.

I'm sure Paul could have used "lofty words and impressive wisdom" if he chose - but he deliberately decided to focus on Christ alone. He purposely relied on the power of God knowing that human wisdom does not change people's hearts. Only the power of God is able to perform this true miracle.

Paul evidently didn't come with an aire of authority to this group of believers. He didn't use any means that the worldly person would to impress others. Rather it was Paul's goal to point people to Jesus Christ and not himself. That is pure ministry.

No comments: