Monday, February 18, 2008

Lift Up My Eyes

"In the morning I will order my prayer to Thee and eagerly watch." Psalm 5:3

We should expect for and "eagerly watch" for the answers to our prayers.

Something I love about the Christian life is that it is an honest life. While, as believers, we are the recipients of beautiful promises from God there are still mysteries about His nature with which I wrestle. I don't get the sense that God is annoyed with my honest questions. In fact, I think He delights in answering my questions in unexpected ways. Honestly is always O.K. as long as it is accompanied by reverence. I'm glad God doesn't distance Himself from me when I have questions, and He always knows where exactly the "end of my emotional rope lies."

At times there are strings of seemingly "unanswered prayers" and our souls can "steel" themselves against the hurt of things not going the way we had hoped. God has shown Himself to be trustworthy because He often creates beauty from the soil of disappointment. Yet, there is sometimes a fear that we can become so accustomed of that "hunker down" mindset that we can forget to "eagerly watch" for His answers. There are seasons of grief and seasons of joy. If we have been through a season of sadness, let's not miss out on the season of exuberant joy. We can rejoice that He does ultimately answer prayer on His timetable, which is always the best. Lord, lift up our eyes to "eagerly watch."

No comments: